Forum

North-South power s...

Notifications
Clear all

Welcome to Essence Forum, please register to have full access to all the features of this forum. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER, CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR WHATSAPP GROUP

Meet the world!

North-South power shift decision should be left to political parties — Ganduje

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Samuel
(@samuel)
Topic starter  

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has clarified more earlier comments he made expressing dismay over the war of words between some northern and southern governors. In this interview, the governor also reiterated his position about grazing, insisting that ranches and modern animal husbandry be put in place.

By Abdulmumin Murtala

What informed the comments you made at the Independence Day ceremony speech you delivered concerning the North-South dichotomy?

I will start by congratulating us all about the independence celebration after Nigeria has attained 61 years. I know my speech at the stadium will attract criticisms to some, appreciation to some and what we call in Hausa ‘kace na ce

But I think the first question has hit the nail on the head. The recent problem between northern governors and southern governors as I earlier mentioned, is unfortunate.

A situation whereby governors of one region use uncomplimentary language to their colleagues in the other region is not civilised at all. There is no civilisation at all in that. The issues at stake are varied; some issues that can be resolved while some issues are political party issues.

To me some of the issues that brought the dichotomy is the issue of power shift, whether power should go to the north or whether power should go to the south.

Like I have been saying, the constitution has not mentioned that power should shift from North to South. But it has been a tradition in the country to have power zoning. And this zoning is a strategy by a political party. Each party has to develop a strategy on how to win election.

If you think power shift will bring you votes to win elections, you have not offended the constitution. If you think you can retain leadership of this country forever and win election, the constitution is not offended.

So I thought this issue should be left to political parties to resolve. Not we as governors to have two opposing groups. That is important

So I urge the chairman of Nigerian Governors Forum to convene a meeting of the governors forum so that we apologise to each other for the uncomplimentary remarks on an issue that is solely a political one. That is my stand on that.

1633188912-Ganduje-1024x673.jpg

Share: