September 25, 2022

TOKTOK9JA MEDIA

Welcome, we offer 24hrs Updates on Trending Naija News, Global News, Gossip, Events, Interview & Much More…

Updates on Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 43 As the Search For Survivors Continues

4 min read
Updates on Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 43 As the Search For Survivors Continues

Updates on Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 43 As the Search For Survivors Continues.

The Lagos State government on Sunday has confirmed that one more body has been recovered from the site of the collapsed 21-storey building on Gerrard Road, in the Ikoyi area of the state, bringing the total number retrieved from the rubble to 43.

This was just as the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, once again, commiserated with the families of those who died in the incident.

The State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, made this known in a release issued from his office, saying that the additional figure was retrieved from the collapsed building on Saturday.

“One more body has been recovered from the site of the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos. The body, which was recovered on Saturday, has brought the number of bodies retrieved from the rubble to 43,” he said.

READ: I Witnessed 10 People Shot Dead During #EndSARS protests – Victim

The commissioner said the state recorded 15 survivors from the site, so far, while 49 persons had reported that their loved ones were missing, just as he said that identification of bodies continues at the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH), Yaba.

Updates on Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 43 As the Search For Survivors Continues

“There are 15 survivors and 49 persons who have reported that their loved ones are missing.

“At the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH), Yaba, the identification of bodies continues.

Meanwhile, The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has commenced a ‘controlled demolition’ at the site of the collapsed building in Ikoyi.

Workers of the agency ripped the estate entrance structure apart with an excavator on Sunday afternoon – as part of their emergency operation at the scene of the incident which has claimed more than 40 lives.

The two other towers beside the one that caved in on Monday, November 1 have been left untouched as agencies of government continue to clear the rubble at the site.

READ: Nigerian Man Arrested for Scamming White Lady of N2.4 Billion

In the same vein, family members of those declared missing in the collapsed 21-storey  building in Ikoyi, Lagos were in hospitals to identify their loved ones on Sunday.

According to Lags State Commissioner of Information, Gbenga Omotosho, agitated family members were at the  Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH), Yaba, Lagos Mainland to in search of their missing loved ones.                                       

Updates on Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 43 As the Search For Survivors Continues

NEMA’s official Ibrahim Farinloye confirmed the recovery; no additional body was brought out yesterday.

Farinloye, who said people were still believed to be trapped in the rubble, said rescuers were hopeful to achieve ground zero by today.

He said the Federal Government yesterday deployed the Nigerian Army Corps of Engineers to assist in the rescue operation.

The Lagos Commissioner for Special Duties, Bamgbose Martins, who had been on the site since Monday, said the work was almost over. The commissioner said he was in touch with the federal agency.

The Federal Government directed the Army Engineers to deploy equipment to the site and assist in removing the rubble. But, the  Commissioner informed the team that resources on the ground were enough to complete the job.

Farinloye said: “Further to the deployment of Disaster Response Unit  (DRU) on the first day of the incident, the Federal Government directed the Army Corps of Engineers to assist in the operation. The Head of Army  Corps of Engineers, Brig.-Gen. Omali, on arrival, was received by NEMA  that introduced the team to Lagos State Commissioners for Special Duties and Physical Planning.

READ: Results of Anambra State Election As Announced by INEC

MORE READ: Hours After Election Was Declared Inconclusive, APC Rejects Anambra Election Results, Says There Was Massive Rigging

The latest report from the Anambra Gubernatorial Election already declared inconclusive by the Independent National Electoral Commission, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has rejected the results of the elections

Politics Today reported that the Chairman of the party in Anambra State, Mr. Basil Ejidike, has called for the cancelation of the yet-to-be-concluded exercise in the state.

Ejidike accused the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), of rigging the election.

DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO TELL US ABOUT NIGERIA? CLICK HERE TO JOIN ESSENCE FORUM AND SHARE YOUR TOPICS WITH OVER 4000 MEMBERS.

WATCH MORE NEWS ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE

From Toktok9ja Media

The views expressed in this article are the writer’s opinion, they do not reflect the views of the Publisher of TOKTOK9JA MEDIA. Please report any fake news, misinformation, or defamatory statements to toktok9ja@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.